How to make — Candy Apples
Serves 8 People
Prep Time 10 Min
Total Time 20 Min
- 8 Large Apples
- 14oz Light Brown Caster Sugar
- 100ml / 3.5fl oz Water
- 4 Tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1 Tsp Vinegar
- 8 Wooden Lolly Sticks
- Remove the stalks from the apples and place them in your kitchen sink.
- Pour water from a kettle that has just boiled over the apples.
- Dry them off.
- Drive your wooden lolly sticks into the centre at the core area of each apple.
- Lay out a sheet of grease proof paper on your work surface close to your stove top where you will be making the toffee.
- Tip the sugar and the water into a high sided, heavy bottomed pan (not non-stick) on a medium high heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the vinegar and the syrup and turn up the heat to high to bring the mix to a boil. Allow it to boil rapidly until it reaches a temperature of 140 C / 280 F.
- Tip the pan to the side allowing the toffee to collect at the side of the pan.
- Take an apple by the lolly stick, dunk it, twist and swirl until coated.
- Stand the apple upside down as it were on the grease proof paper and repeat.
- Leave the toffee apples to harden.