How to make — French Onion Soup
Serves 4 People
Prep Time 50 Mins
Total Time 1 Hours 5 Mins
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Cups Sliced Onions
- 4 (10.5 Ounce) Cans Beef Broth
- 2 Tbsp Dry Sherry
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Pinch Salt And Pepper To Taste
- 4 Slices French Bread
- 4 Slices Provolone Cheese
- 2 Slices Swiss Cheese, Diced
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Melt butter with olive oil in an 8 quart stock pot on medium heat.
- Add onions and continually stir until tender and translucent.
- Add beef broth, sherry and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven boiler.
- Ladle soup into oven safe serving bowls and place one slice of bread on top of each (bread may be broken into pieces if you prefer).
- Layer each slice of bread with a slice of provolone.
- 1/2 slice diced swiss and 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese.
- Place bowls on cookie sheet and broil in the preheated oven until cheese bubbles and browns slightly.