How to make — Sticky Toffee Pudding
Serves 6 People
Prep Time 1 Hour 30 Mins
Total Time 2 Hours 30 Mins
FOR THE TOFFEE SAUCE:
- 2 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1 Cup Sugar
FOR THE CAKE:
- 6 Ounces Pitted Dates
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Plus 2 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Pinch Of Salt
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of the cream with the butter, corn syrup and sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook over moderately low heat, for about 40 minutes.
- Carefully whisk in the remaining cups of cream.
- Strain the sauce through a sieve into a bowl.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the dates in the water over a low heat.
- Transfer the dates and any liquid to a food processor and puree until very smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Lightly butter six 1/2 cup ramekins.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter with the brown sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla, then beat in the date puree.
- At low speed, beat in the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the ramekins and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Trim the tops of the cakes level with the rims of the ramekins.
- Unmold the cakes and invert them onto a wire rack.
- Slice each cake in half horizontally.
- Wipe out the ramekins and spoon 1 tablespoon of the toffee sauce into each.
- Return the bottom layers of the cakes to the ramekins, cut side up.
- Spoon another tablespoon of the toffee sauce into the ramekins and top with the remaining cake layers.
- Spoon another tablespoon of the toffee sauce over the cakes and spread evenly.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let the puddings cool for 5 minutes.
- Run a thin-bladed knife around the insides of the ramekins.
- Invert each pudding onto a dessert plate.
- Rewarm the remaining toffee sauce and spoon some around the puddings.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.